Broken Tool Removal
Electro Arc Portable DC Metal Disintegrator (Bolt Eater)
Most powerful disintegrator. Period.
Even more power than our tabletop models in a versatile package. Super-duty on-the-truck portable
with 36” magnet-base fixture. Base attaches to ferrous surfaces with 3,000 lb. (1360kg) of holding power.
Side-mounted coolant tank. 2-drawer + door tool cabinet mountedon 72” truck.
Features of all our DC portable machines:
• Holds the power supply, coolant system and control panel
• Heavy-duty casters for easy movement around the shop
• Levelers for stability in operation
• Does the work of cutting into hardened metals
• Two head options available
Head Support options
• Use existing equipment such as a drill press
• Use available Electro Arc portable head supports
like the ultra-compact Mini Mag 800-lb. fixture or
the 3000-lb. 36” Magnetic base which lets you
take advantage of the precision IQ Head.
Built-in Coolant System
• Provides coolant for the disintegration process
• Internal pump provides 90 psi coolant pressure
• Internal tank with filter
Portable disintegrator for large bolt removal
- Fast cutting in HSS, carbide tooling and drill bits
- For 1/2” (12.7 mm) or larger bolts and tools
- Take everything you need to the job site in one trip
- Full-function Remote Control keeps operator at point of disintegration (optional add-on to original machine build)
- Servo Feed for reliable hands-free operation includes depth stop
- Fixture has 3 linear and 2 radial axes with 12” (304 mm) down feed for flexible setup
- Permanent magnet base with 3,000-lb. (1360 kg) holding power to ferrous surfaces
Metal Disintegrators or MDM machines are manufactured for the specific purpose of removing broken tools from work pieces. The metal disintegration process removes a tap, bolt or drill leaving the hole intact and allowing a part to be reclaimed.
The difference between MDM and EDM is speed, cost and accuracy. MDM removes material very fast. MDM uses a spark erosion process commonly used for destructive cutting. Typical application includes broken tool extraction (taps, drills, reamers, drill bits) metallurgical sample excavation and bolt removal. There is no faster or efficient or cost effective method to remove broken tools, studs or fasteners than MDM.
Using an EDM to remove broken tooling is possible, but it is time-consuming and has limitations. First, the part has to be small enough to fit in the dielectric fluid container. Second, an EDM machine will take hours to extract a 3/8” tap, where an MDM will take just minutes. Third, the MDM process does not require submersion of the part. Lastly, EDM machines are significantly more expensive than MDMs and tying up an expensive production machine with tooling extraction could be costly.